Today AVG Business (= the paid version of the antivirus software) automagically installed its new version. And, [censored swear word], after restarting my pc, no more connection between my SunSDR and my PC.
Shutting off the firewall solves the problem but is of course not really a long term solution.
I have added the ExpertSDR software and the network address of the SunSDR to the firewall settings but to no avail for now. I guess I’ll have to dig a little deeper to get it running again.
UPDATE: I messed around for a while trying to allow the SunSDR and ExpertSDR to get through the firewall but to no avail. As I use a pretty decent firewall in my router I decided to simply uninstall the AVG firewall component.
A few weeks ago I decided to add the e-coder to my SunSDR line. The e-coder is an external interface that provides a physical VFO-knob and some buttons and digital encoders to command some (programmable) functions of the SunSDR.
The advantage of the e-coder is that you can switch the programmed functions without having to move the focus from your (contest) logging software.
Apparently the e-coder was not on stock with the supplier even if his website stated otherwise. So the device had to be sent from Russia to the UK and then from the UK to my address. This took about 3 weeks.
Unfortunately the e-coder arrived today and the VFO-knob was pretty loose, it was wiggling about 5mm from one side to the other when I touched it. Whether this was caused by a poor design, by a manufacturing fault or by transport damage, I don’t know yet. I have to say the packaging the supplier sent it in was below (my) standard. A few minutes ago I received an e-mail form the supplier stating ‘Ok, send it back to us we will get it sorted’.
So I guess I’ll have to make a trip to the post office tomorrow. I wonder who’ll pay the shipping costs…
For those knowing me, I haven’t done a lot of SSB in the last few years. I mostly do digital with a large preference for RTTY contests.
During the month of may the UBA (Belgian Amateur Radio society) celebrated its 70th birthday and we could activate the special event callsign OT70TRA (there were about 50 OT70 stations active).
For this activation I wanted to do some SSB also and the pileups where very nice. But of course with a handmike it’s not that comfortable to rapidly enter QSOs in the log.
That’s when I decided to find my good old Heil headset with a HC4 element and connect it to the Mic1 connector. I guess I was lucky as this worked from the first try. Audio reports were very good, even without changing anything in the equalizer settings of the Pro2.
It’s a long time I haven’t written anything about the SunSDR but apparently some people even read what I write here 🙂
So what did I do in the last 15 months?
First of all I got frustrated with the limited power (15W) so I added a HLA305v PA to my system. The HLA305v is a fairly low-cost solid state amplifier rated at approximately 300W. According to the tests of the ARRL it should be reasonably clean when using it in low power mode (+/- 200W out on the low bands, +/-100W out on 10m).
But when installing the HLA305v I had a problem, all wiring was correct and the amp went into transmit when pressing the PTT on the SunSDR but 90% of the time the automatic bandfilter switching in the amp did not work. After some research I tested with a small relay between the transceiver and the amp and this solved the problem.
When this worked as a prototype I made a little breakout box for all ports of the SunSDR:
The relay for the ptt is inside the 3-d printed box, and I have all output pins easily available now.
In the last few weeks I have not done too much with the SunSDR except make a few hundred QSOs. This is fun!
The only real thing I changed was to print 2 brackets on the 3d printer to mount an 8 cm fan above the transceiver. For now I have this 12v fan running from the same 15v supply as the transceiver but I put 8 diodes in series to get the voltage for the fan down to about 6v. The fan runs very quiet and the max temp I have seen in ExpertSDR since I use the fan is 30°C while making QSOs in JT65.
If you want to print your own brackets, please let me know, I’ll send you the STL-file. Or for those living nearby I can print them for you.